Choose a PA School in California
California has about 10 universities offering PA programs.
If you want to learn more about the schools and paying for PA school, reading this page will help you. If you want to become a physician assistant, you need to follow physician assistant school requirements and enroll in the best college or university.
PA School in California: Career Requirements
Before you can practice as physician assistant, you need to obtain a license from Medical Board of California’s Physician Assistant.
It requires students to complete PA program that is accredited by Accreditation Review Commission on Education for Physician Assistant and pass Physician Assistant National Certifying Exam.
“In California, physician assistant programs are commonly offered at the master’s degree level. Less commonly available are certificate and associate degree programs. Training combines lectures, labs and clinical experiences. Depending on the school, applicants to physician assistant programs typically need to have accumulated 1,000-3,000 hours of clinical experience. They also need to have taken certain prerequisite courses. Additionally, applicants to a master’s degree program need to have a bachelor’s degree, and in some cases the degree may need to be in a health-related field” Study.com
PA School California: Schools to Choose From
- Foothill College: This PA School in California is offering a two-year college together with Stanford University. To quality, students should complete classes in math and science. They need to obtain 3,000 hours of experience in patient care. They can complete the PA program in 21 months, curriculum consists of lab classes, clinical training, workshops, and lecture based classes.
- Loma Linda University: This PA School California provides master’s degree program in preparing graduates in taking PANCE. For admission, students should complete prerequisite classes with 2,000 hands of patient care experience and complete bachelor’s degree.
- Moreno Valley College: This physician assistant school in California is offering PA associate degree program that focus in serving rural and urban communities. To apply, students should complete prerequisite courses in physiology and anatomy, algebra, general chemistry, physics, sociology, psychology and microbiology. The program can be completed in two years.
- Samuel Merritt University: Student must have bachelor’s degree, complete prerequisite coursework, obtain hands on clinical experience and submit three references. They are offering Master of Physician Assistant.
- Touro University California: They offer joint master’s degree program in public health and physician assistant studies. It is accredited by ARC-PA. Courses cover microbiology, biostatistics, pharmacology and others.
- University of California: Applicants need to have bachelor’s degree, 3.0 GPA, personal essay, 3 recommendation letters and 1,000 hours clinical experience.
- University of Southern California: Students should complete bachelor’s degree program, prerequisite classes, MCAT or GRE exam, clinical experience and community service. It takes 33 months to complete the program.
- Western University of Health Sciences: Upon applying, applicants must either have bachelor’s degree or working. Experience and community service is required to have application package.